- Directions & Campus Map
- What to Bring
- Student Registration – Check-In
- Air Arrival & Departure
- Local Accommodations
- Local Dining
- Mail While at Camp
- Visiting Colgate During Camp
- Concert & Recital Schedule
Directions & Campus Map
GPS Directions to Dana Arts Center:
- From the North – use 110 Broad Street, Hamilton, NY, as your destination address. Turn LEFT at the light onto College Street. Make your first right onto Lally Lane. Dana Arts Center will be the modern building on your left, half way around the circle.
- From the South – use 110 Broad Street, Hamilton, NY, as your destination address. Turn RIGHT at the light onto College Street. Make your first right onto Lally Lane. Dana Arts Center will be the modern building on your left, half way around the circle.
(Colgate University Address: 13 Oak Drive, Hamilton, NY 13346 – please do not use this address for any Music Camp correspondence. Please visit our Contact Us page)
Driving Directions to Dana Arts Center:
- From New York City: Take the Tappan Zee Bridge, I-87/NYS Thruway North to Exit 16 (Harriman); Route 17 West to Exit 84 for Deposit. At Deposit, take Route 8 North to New Berlin, then Route 80 West to Sherburne and Route 12 North. In Sherburne, bear left on Route 12B North to Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From north of Westchester: NYS Thruway, Exit 25A to I-88 West; take first exit for Route 20 West. Follow Route 20 to Madison; left on Route 12B South into Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From north/central New Jersey: Follow I-80 West into Pennsylvania. Exit for I-380 Northwest toward Scranton, to I-81 North to Binghamton. Take Exit 6 for Route 12 North to Sherburne; bear left on Route 12B North to Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From Syracuse and points west: Take I-81 South. Exit onto I-690 East. Exit onto I-481 South. Exit 3E off I-481 for Route 92 East. Follow Route 92 to Cazenovia and take Route 20 East. Follow Route 20 East to Route 46 South. Bear right on Route 46 South. Take Route 46 South to Route 12B South. Follow Route 12B South to the village of Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From Boston and points east: Take Mass Pike to NYS Thruway West to Exit 25A for I-88 (Duanesburg), then I-88 West to Exit 24 for Route 20 West. Beyond Madison, turn left onto Route 12B South to Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From Philadelphia: Take Northeast Extension of PA Turnpike to I-81 at Scranton; north on I-81 to Binghamton. Take Exit 6 for Route 12 North to Sherburne; bear left on route 12B North to Hamilton. See Entering Hamilton below.
- From the North – continue south on 12B (Broad St.) through the village of Hamilton. After passing lake on left turn LEFT at the light onto College St. Make your first Right onto Lally Lane. Dana Arts Center will be the modern building on your left, half way around the circle.
- From the South – as you enter the Colgate Campus, turn RIGHT at the first light onto College St. Make your first Right onto Lally Lane. Dana Arts Center will be the modern building on your left, half way around the circle.
What to Bring
- Casual summer attire (avg. daily high/low temperature in Hamilton, NY in July: 80º/56ºF.) Shirts, shorts, slacks/jeans, sweater/sweat shirt/jacket, raincoat/umbrella, bathing suit, socks & comfortable walking shoes (the campus is hilly!)
- Boys – white shirts (short or long sleeve) with tie, black pants, nice shoes
- Girls – white blouse with black skirt or slacks
- Boys – same as concert dress or a sport jacket or suit and tie
- Girls – short or long dress or slacks with any colored blouse
- Bring your own instrument(s) (unless other arrangements have been made). Keep a detailed description of your instrument(s) on file, including serial numbers. Make sure your instrument is in playable condition.
- Folding music stand for practicing in your dorm room (optional).
- Extra supplies and accessories (i.e. tuner, metronome, reeds, valve oil, strings, rosin). Please note there is no music store in Hamilton.
- Music: solo literature, method/etude books, etc. (requested by private teachers and for recitals)
- Instrument Storage: large instruments may be secured off-stage in Brehmer Theater (rehearsal/concert hall) located in Dana Arts Center. All other instruments may be stored in lockers with combination locks. Dana Arts Center is locked every evening by Campus Security.
- Guitar/Bass players: Unless traveling by airplane it is requested that all guitarists & bass guitarists bring their own equipment (amps, cables, cords, etc.). Please bring a tuner, chromatic preferred, or a basic tuner.
- Drummers/percussionists: a drum set and mallet instruments will be available for your use for rehearsals, concerts & recitals (bring your sticks, mallets & any accessories you wish). You may bring your own drum set for dorm practice. A separate room will be provided for your drum set with a key to the room (a $100 key deposit is required).
- Bring Linens: single bed sheets (extra-long preferred), pillow, pillow case, two blankets (or sleeping bag) & towels. One pillow & one blanket are provided by Colgate University; however, you may want to bring your own. Linen sets are available to rent.
- Miscellaneous items (all items except sports equipment are available at the Colgate Bookstore): toiletries, water bottle, pencils & pens, books, clothes hangers, desk lamp, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, fan (dormitories are not air-conditioned; there will be some hot days. Window & portable air-conditioners are not permitted), sports equipment (tennis racquet, racquetball racquet, softball glove, Frisbees, etc.). Bicycles and skateboards are not permitted.
- Cell phone use (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T) is only permitted during personal time or in case of an emergency. Parents/Guardians, please encourage your son or daughter to limit their cell phone usage while at Music Camp.
- Electronics: radio/stereo, mp3 player/recorder, camera (electronic games & computer usage is at the discretion of the parents/guardians). Wireless internet access is available in the dorm rooms. Computer access is available on campus.
The Eastern U.S. Music Camp and Colgate University are not
responsible for damage or theft to your musical instrument(s) or
personal belongings. Please label all items with the student’s name.
For students arriving:
- Sunday, June 24; Registration is 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, July 1 or 8; Registration is 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
*Please send an email or phone if you are unable to register at the times indicated above.
Upon arrival please proceed to Brehmer Theater where we will review your submitted forms and account. You may also make changes to your daily schedule at this time. Students/parents will also receive a Student Handbook. This contains helpful information about your stay, general rules and regulations, as well as a complete schedule of all activities and performances for the summer. Our staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have, show you locations of rehearsals, classes, instrument storage, etc. in Dana Arts Center. Following Registration you will be directed up the hill to your Dormitory. You will be assigned a Counselor upon arriving at the Dormitory who will assist you with moving into your Dorm room and will be available to assist you throughout your stay (Day students will also be assigned a Counselor). Your first meal will be dinner (5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.) at Frank Dining Hall (#26 on Colgate Campus Map PDF). You may want to have lunch in the town of Hamilton (see Local Dining section). Student Orientation will take place at 7:00 p.m. each Sunday in Brehmer Theater. You will meet your Faculty and Staff; hear more about the program and review safety procedures and general rules and regulations.
STAFF ONLY check-in & orientation (Dormitory Heads, Counselors & CITs)
Check-Out (Resident Students)
For students leaving Sunday, July 8 or July 15, you are requested to check out of your room BEFORE Sunday Brunch (11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.). Please have your bags packed by 10:00 a.m.. We will say good-bye after you perform in the 3:00 p.m. concert.
For students attending the final week of Camp, checkout will be Sunday, July 22, following breakfast, your final meal. You may leave any time until 11:00 a.m. (Please inform your Dorm Head and Mrs. Lowery by Saturday morning, July 21 should you decide to leave Saturday night after the Final Gala Concert.)
Keys/Meal Card/Camp Bank: return your room key & meal card ONLY to Mrs. Lowery in the dormitory after each concert (including the Final Gala Concert) before you leave for home or you will not receive your key refund. Your Camp Bank account may also be closed out at this time.
(Locks & keys are replaced immediately by Colgate University and charged to the student if not returned at the end of your session.)
Extending Your Stay
For greater enrichment and continuity, we encourage campers registered for two or three weeks to extend their stay. Please inform your Dorm Head & Mr. or Mrs. Lowery. High school credit is also available in some states when enrolled for the 4-week session.
Air Arrival & Departure
Air Travel & Shuttle Service to Colgate
Regularly scheduled commercial airline service is available at Syracuse Hancock International Airport (Airport Identifier: SYR), located in Syracuse, New York, a one hour drive from Colgate University.
Colgate has contracted with First Transit to create the On-Demand Shuttle Service to and from Syracuse Hancock International Airport.
Cost: one-way fee to or from Syracuse Hancock International Airport is $92.58 (2017 rate; 2018 rate TBA); cost may be split with additional students. Payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) is accepted and will be charged at the end of the trip. Personal checks are not accepted.
TO MAKE A RESERVATION:
Please send an email to First Transit @ firstname.lastname@example.org and request that an On Demand form be emailed to you.
This form will need to be filled out completely and returned to email@example.com
The form will request travel and credit card information. On the form where it requests “Drop Off Location”, please enter “Eastern U.S. Music Camp” and Dormitory name (Boys: “East Hall” (#19 on map); Girls: “West Hall” (#18 on map).
24-hour notice is required to make a reservation. You will receive an email confirmation from First Transit.
The driver will meet the student in the Baggage Claim area for their flight and will be holding a sign that says “Colgate”.
The driver will take the student directly to the Dormitory (Girls or Boys) on the Colgate University campus. Please call the Music Camp office (315-228-7041; June 23-July 22) or email summer@EasternUSMusicCamp.com with the estimated time of arrival to the Colgate University campus (Syracuse Hancock International Airport is a one hour drive to Colgate University).
Please contact First Transit should you have any questions: 315-228-4287. Emergencies: 315-269-3874
NOTE: Eastern U.S. Music Camp is not responsible for making reservations.
Mail While at Camp
Mail is delivered to students Monday – Friday (no deliveries on weekends or holidays, including UPS or FedEx).
Address while at camp:
Eastern U.S. Music Camp
13 Oak Drive
Dana Arts Center
Hamilton, NY 13346-1398
Parents and friends are always invited to attend concerts, recitals & guest performances. All performances are free and are located at Brehmer Theater in the air-conditioned Dana Arts Center (except where noted). Please see the Concert & Recital Schedule.
- Concerts: Saturdays, 8:00 p.m. & Sundays, 3:00 p.m. (a small ensemble will perform in the lobby of Brehmer Theater 45 minutes prior to the start of each weekend concert)
- Recitals: Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. (July 18 at 7:00 p.m.)
- Special guest performances are scheduled throughout the summer.
- Gala Final Concert: Saturday, July 21, 2018 – 7:00 p.m. (small ensembles), 7:30 p.m. (major ensembles).